Friday, April 24, 2015

What Would You Do If I Were Murdered?

            Trans people have a 1 in 12 chance of being murdered. This number goes up to 1 in 8 if they are a trans woman of color. 75% of us will be homeless at some point. Almost 1 in 2 attempt suicide. These are pretty insane statistics, right? But let’s make it even more personal. What if I was murdered? What would you do if I was murdered?

            And I don’t mean this in the typical “make me feel better” way. I know a lot of you would show up at my funeral, I know people would miss me, I know my life has value. But that’s not what I’m asking. I’m asking, what would you do after? Would it end at crying at my grave and reminiscing sometimes?

            Would you sit at home and be sad? Would you send the murderer to jail and feel justice is served? Would you say “People are already talking about it” and stay at home?

Or would you fight? Would you speak out against this? Would you fight to change that statistic? Would you seek to end violence against trans people? Would you want to prevent other families and friends from knowing the pain?

I know you’d be sad, but would you fight for me? Would you talk about me and spread my story? Would you push for trans friendly culture and laws? Would you try to change the world to prevent this from happening again?

We have a 1 in 12 chance of being murdered. Just by the end of February this year Trans Women were murdered at a rate of one every week. And people sit back and think “Well others are talking about it” or “Murder is already illegal” or “It’s not my place to talk about it.”

We’re dying! My sisters are being killed! My trans family is dying. And we don’t take it sitting down. We do our best to speak out, we do our best to fight back, and we’ve been doing that for years and years. And we’re still dying. We’re still being kicked out of homes and fired and beaten and killed.

What would you do if I was murdered? If you would fight when it’s too late… why not fight now before it’s too late? If you would fight for me after I’m murdered, why not fight for me before it happens?

We’re hurting. We’re rejected. We’re dying.

Please.


Help us

No comments:

Post a Comment